Saturday, March 27, 2004

Medic is for Mediocre

Haha, i got made platoon commander on the first day of platoon field camp. 7 hours into the 12 hrs long 2mission exercise, i collapse from heat exhaustion. Physical exertion the MO calls it, heat related. Was put on drip overnight. I have three gaping holes on my left (master) arm now, it still hurts badly.

Medic (who looks like a 19yr old pes C9 NSF from ITE with a bad acne problem): "relax... I'm putting you on drip...(with quaver in his voice that throws spiny shadows over an inner version of me as i shrink into a corner arms raised and eyes livid with terror).

Me:"Um, heard you guys are very experianced with needles r-right? you guys stick it into yourselves and your buddies during your course right? my it looks very long and thick... um hey! AAARRGHHH!!!"

Medic (which i found out subsequently that it stood for MEDIOCRE):" Yes? what? um, beg your pardon?" (As he sticks the IV needle 2cm in and twisting it while sweating feverishly as he tries to align it to the vein while under my fucking flesh)

Me (regrettably alot more alert after the previous injection that curbed my disorientation that was a follow up from recovering from the dehydration):" AAARRRGGHHH!!!!"

Medic (who is visibly unsure and lost which is more terrifying to watch when you are the one he's sticking a stake into):" You're tensing up, don't...j-just relax, it's almost correct( he says as he pushes the needle 4cm further in and rolling the stem while changing the direction, all of which while it's in my vein and surrounded by thousands of screaming nerve endings)

Me (whose horror was unparellaled upon hearing the words 'almost correct' amidst excruciating agony and a small voice saying 'that's your master hand! your master hand!!!') :"AAARRRRGGGHH!!!"

Medic:" so sorry, it's wrong, i-i have to do it again, i'm taking it out n-now..."

Me(sensing acutly the tip and circumference of the metal shaft withdrawing from my body):"AAARRRGGGHH!!!"


The bloody medic does it once more before calling the doctor. I pass out due to fear and exhaustion while the medic is on the phone. I wake up to the doctor who diagnosed me.

Doctor(with kind and saviour like face seeming to say it'll be alright coz i'm here:"wake up cadet... are you feeling ok?"

Me(relieved beyond the extent the release of a severely repressed bladder can give):" yes i'm fine doctor... are you administering the drip for me?"

Doctor(smiling comfortingly):"it's ok, i don't have to.... Medic! Do it right this time, i'll be watching!"

Me( horror unparelleled):" AAARRRGGHH!!!!"





I feel much much better now. I'm more hydrated, but mostly because it's over. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home