Thursday, June 30, 2005

Recently I was at John's house with Ina. I'll be leaving in a fortnight for Sydney, and John was showing me pictures from his recent trip there. I looked at the photos with wonder, such unfamiliar sights would be commonplace soon - but in the photos, they were so beautiful. The beaches, the streets... vistas, cityscapes... very mundane sights, but each capturing such wonder in me.

In his motley collection, there were shots of Singapore river, Raffles place, and other inner city shots. They were no less breathtaking as remote Sydney. Captivated, I realized something about myself, and perhaps many of us.

We've lost our eye for beauty in Singapore. Flats, buses, roads... we become too jaded to notice the beauty. It took my wonder in the Sydney cityscape to realize, "hey, where's the wonder for my own cityscape?". John and Kris's photos of all these places i know and frequented so often, looked to ethereally wondrous in their pictures. Where is this place i know? Why do i not look upon my city and find the beauty?

The next few days, in our trips around singapore, hanging out or just gallivanting, I began seeing once again how lovely so many places are. I must relive this town, before it'll be gone for quite awhile. Arab Street. Chinatown. Outram Park. Esplanade. Lau Pa Sat. Tanah Merah. East Coast Park. Clementi Central. Harbourfront. Padang. Holland Village. Pasir Panjang. Siglap. Katong. Lakeside.

Photos soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous sang...

didnt call u back bout that quotation.theperson i checked with said ure quotation was quite normal.. when u have it assembled etc.. the cost goes up la. some cheapos like to cut costs this way and make theyre employees spend nights doing mundane things like tt which is bloody stupid.
im sorry im turning my comment into my own personal blog.

hee.

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home